Association of Fundraising Professionals -
Cape Fear Region Chapter
2017 Scholarship Program details:
The goal of the Scholarship Program is to help AFP Cape Fear Region Chapter build a professional fundraising community that best represents the communities we serve. The selection process is competitive with more qualified applicants than scholarships available.
A one-year scholarship in each of the following membership categories may be awarded each year by the Scholarship Committee:
ACTIVE MEMBER – Underwritten by Hartsook Companies, Inc.
Open to any former or current AFP member. Open to persons who have at least one year of experience at the time of application as fundraising professionals, are self-employed or associated with an organization, institution or firm and compensated for his/her services. Active members hold some degree of accountability for income generation within the philanthropic process; estimate at least a quarter of their time is spent on fundraising-related responsibilities; subscribe to the Code of Ethical Principles and Standards and its bylaws; promote the Donor Bill of Rights and, are employed or have been employed by an institution or organization that provides benefits to society.
New MEMBER – Underwritten by Hartsook Companies, Inc.
Available only to those who have never been an AFP member. Open to persons employed in the field. All must subscribe to the Code of Ethical Principles and Standards and its bylaws, and promote the Donor Bill of Rights.
Scholarship Award Requirements:
1. You must be eligible for one of the membership categories outlined above.
2. Serve as a volunteer on an AFP committee.
3. Attend Cape Fear Region Chapter meetings regularly (75%)
4. Provide a brief article about your AFP experience for the Chapter's newsletter after the time of membership.
5. Current, active and previous AFP scholarship award recipients and AFP Cape Fear Region Chapter Board of Directors are NOT eligible.
6. Pay for your annual membership at time of joining, and AFP- Cape Fear Region chapter will reimburse at end of membership year.
7. Recipient will acknowledge Hartsook Companies, Inc. with letter of thanks.
Benefits of the scholarship program are valid for ONE year and include:
1. One-year AFP Membership reimbursement, including national and local dues
2. Admission to regular scheduled local Cape Fear Region Chapter programs and webinars throughout the year, (not including special workshops or AFP State/National/International events)
3. Unlimited access to AFP International Members-Only website and resources
4. Opportunity to be paired with a mentor from the AFP Cape Fear Region Chapter Board of Trustees
5. Paid admission to the AFP Cape Fear Region Chapter National Philanthropy Day celebration
6. Opportunity to apply for the Chamberlain Scholarship award to attend the International AFP Conference.
7. Member discounts to State and National AFP events
8. One-year subscription to Advancing Philanthropy monthly magazine
9. Transferrable to another eligible individual currently employed by that same organization
1. Request application from Bethany Leighton at firstname.lastname@example.org
Complete the AFP Cape Fear Region Chapter Scholarship Application Form, concisely and briefly.
2. Attach a copy of your current résumé.
3. Email your application and resume back to the AFP Cape Fear Region Chapter Scholarship Contact, Bethany Leighton, at email@example.com by January 31, 2017. Late applications will NOT be accepted. (PDF format preferred but not required.)
4. Applicants will be notified of their status either by phone or e-mail in early February 2017.
5. A brief interview with the Scholarship Committee may also be requested at that time as part of the award selection process.
6. NOTE: Applicants who are awarded scholarships will be reimbursed once the local chapter receives membership confirmation from the national AFP office. This could take two to three months in which time you must attend chapter meetings and determine what committee you will be actively involved in.
7. For questions regarding the Scholarship Program or application process, contact Bethany Leighton at firstname.lastname@example.org
2016 Chamberlain Scholarship Awarded on National Philanthropy Day
Proceeds from National Philanthropy Day event allows AFP Cape Fear Region chapter to award membership scholarships to local fundraisers and a travel award to one lucky AFP Member to the International AFP Fundraising Conference.
Congratulations to 2016 Chamberlain Scholarship Awardee -
JC Skane, Executive Director of WARM
She's attending the International Conference in San Francisco! April 30- May 2, 2017